Wednesday 2 May 2012

Being Assistant BA was also an eye opener. It is definitely hard to get to learn how to use the desk without really getting to use it live. However, when it comes down to the show there is not really space for amateur practicing, and I was lucky in many ways to have Kelvin as BA who knew what he was doing. I think this was a bit of a recurring theme with the desk, the people with experience or who knew how to use it asserted their influence over people on the desk who were likely to have been controlling it for the first time, and were just as likely to never use it again as the shows went by. There was also the week where I did two stories, read and wrote bulletins and also did the online work. I certainly learned from this that there is such a thing as giving yourself too much to do. By the end of the day my online submissions were little more than notes, but I just did not have the time to finish them properly. As such I found myself coming back in over the weekend to try and better them, only to find I could not get the audio to embed, something I clearly had not picked up somewhere along the lines. I was happy with my contribution to the show, and it was not the only time I took on numerous tasks, but my own desire to do too much was to the detriment of the end product. I also found myself covering the sport a lot, whether I chose to or otherwise. A few times I turned up on the morning and found I would be doing sport either due to an absence or someone feeling they had a great idea for a story we would cover. Again, I think to put on a good programme you need to do what is best for the show rather than your own desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment